Top 6 Things to Consider – Mail and Package Screening
- Keep your people safe!
- Maintaining a safe and secure workplace is the number 1 priority of all companies, regardless of industry vertical or type of business. If your people are not feeling safe in the workplace it is very difficult to stay focused on the task at hand.
- Loss of Revenue and Productivity
- Each company is different in the function of their Headquarters locations. For example, a Financial Firm being evacuated could result in loss of valuable trading hours and missed opportunities. A retail organization with offices combined with Distribution Centers could experience a loss in product shipments and revenue, a TV/Movie Studio would lose valuable production time. The valuation of disruption depends on the operation, which we can help you assess.
- Threat Level
- Is your organization a low or high profile threat? The level of screening and location of screening services should be developed to match the level of threat your company is exposed to. This depends on your industry, leadership, location and current procedures to name a few of the main factors.
- Mail and package screening can be done On-Site, Near-Site or Off-Site to best reduce any risks and threats. CMS provides all three types of services for our clients in order to match the risk and methods of screening. Many of the intercepted packages were handled at a near or off-site facility supporting the companies in question.
- Methods and Capabilities
- All of the CMS mail operations have the standard USPS Suspicious Mail and Package information available on-site for manual inspection. The 21 Specific Indicators of a suspicious package are extremely useful in identifying these items, as they were in the case of all of the recent packages sent in October 2018. A CMS Security Assessment would look at the need for additional equipment such as X-Ray equipment, Explosive Trace Detection equipment, K-9 support, ventilation systems, etc. Weighing the cost and risk is key in identifying the methods of screening required.
- Deciding What to Screen
- Just as important as where and how is the WHAT! Major couriers like FedEx and UPS have X-Ray and K-9 capabilities in their distribution centers to make it more difficult to get suspicious packages through. The USPS is only able to perform manual checks so Post Office Mail is always a top priority for screening. The second is local messenger and courier items that are hand delivered by non-uniformed couriers.
More from our blog
Top 4 Change Management Decisions
One of the biggest projects we work hand-in-hand on with our clients is process change within their organizations. This process change could be regarding services, technology, space, equipment or any other support provided to employees for the day to day activities in your office.
Is now the time to Introduce AI to your Organization?
The hottest term in our everyday life seems to be Artificial Intelligence. What used to be a Sci-Fi movie theme is now in our homes, cars, cell phones and making its way into our offices.
Top 5 Considerations for On-Site Outsourcing
Outsourcing can be such an unsettling term, but it doesn’t have to be! The on-site provision of office support services by a true partner can be a competitive advantage within your industry when done right. There are some key factors to consider when deciding IF you should be outsourcing, and more importantly with WHO!